Friday, June 17, 2005

Pop Culture Clash

Sorry I haven't written anything lately for your reading pleasure my millions of fans. It's been a shitty week. Don't ask. No, really don't.

So I'm watching CNN this morning. I'm sure it's because I have some sort of self-hatred problem that I force myself to sit through pretty-boy Bill Hemmer and that stupid, stupid beauty pageant winner Soledad O'Brien. Seriously, years after Helen Thomas paved the way for serious women journalist, we've still got mostly dunderheads like Soledad and that fucking Deborah Norville, who I'm convinced sucked some serious network dicks to get where she is today because there is no other explanation for her success. None. Same goes for that Hemmer guy. I'm willing to bet that his nickname among the stagehands and production assistants at CNN is "Hummer".

But the real point of this rant today is this segment they have on CNN's American Morning called 90-Second Pop. If you've never seen this little bit you've really been missing out. Now some days, they talk about a new movie coming out and if it's any good, or maybe about the new TV season, or about good shows that got canceled or saved despite poor ratings (Yay Arrested Development). But there is also the very dark side. And you can guess what I'm talking about, all of the relationship crap like Jen & Ben, or Jen & whoeverthisweeksguyis, Brad and whoever, blah blah blah. So today had the b-team panel on (whenever you see the guy from US Weekly or dangly earring girl from Teen People you know it's the b-team) and they started talking about Tom Cruise and whoever this chick is that he went all weird on Oprah over. So I learn from them that he announced yesterday in Paris that they are now engaged. OK, so what, I think. I still don't care.

But what struck me as funny, was how the woman (girl) from Teen People went on and on suggesting this is a big publicity stunt and acting like she thinks Tom and this chick are really shallow people. HELLLOOOOOOOOOO! YOU WORK FOR TEEN PEOPLE, YOU STUPID EX-CHEERLEADER. And I just love how someone who makes their living writing about celebrities' private lives (for teens no less) has the audacity to even try to bash someone else's character or motives.

I really have to stop watching CNN in the morning.

No comments: