Saturday, July 07, 2007

As Luck Would Have It

A bunch of couples are getting married today, in record numbers I've read, because of the date. These people seem to think that getting married on 07-07-07 will somehow be good luck for their marriage.

And my friends wonder why it seems like people annoy me so much.

I've written about this topic before, but superstition absolutely annoys the crap out of me. I wonder what kind of brain dead backward-ass country fucks actually think that getting married on the date with all the sevens in it will somehow be good for the future of their marriage. Someone needs to buy these people a clue. What day you get married will have absolutely no impact on if you have a good marriage or not. It is an arbitrary number, made up by man to keep track of time. There is no luck involved, good or bad. That's also why the world didn't end on January 1st 2000 (or 2001 for you sticklers for when the millennium really started).

This is just another reminder of how much I hate superstition, and that includes religion of course.

Not that it takes a Christian trailer trash to believe in such similar nonsense. Many of my theatre brethren have their own dumb-tastic beliefs. I make it a point to say "Macbeth" whenever I'm in a theater just to fuck with their heads, and to point out that it has no bearing on how the show will go that night.

I feel so alone in the world sometimes. When will common sense instead of belief in the supernatural be the basis of our decision making?

The media has loved running stories about the people getting married today. But what I'd like to see, and this will never happen, is a story on all of them in ten years.

I will bet a thousand dollars that the divorce rate among the lucky 7s will be exactly the same as people who got married any other day.

I've got some advise for you ladies. That philandering boyfriend of yours does not become a faithful husband because you marry him on a lucky day. No matter how much you tell yourself that.

3 comments:

Joe said...

I'm in agreement with you on at least one point, here: it's not actually bad luck to say "MacBeth" in a theater.

It is, however, bad luck to say any line from "Xanadu!" in a theater. I believe Lincoln was humming "Suddenly" right before he was shot.

the beige one said...

Man, knock on wood when you say shit like that...

I gots my superstitions, but I ain't botherin' you with 'em, so I don't see why your knickers are all bunched up...

Anonymous said...

Why might it be lucky to get married on 07-07-07? Because the man should have a hard time forgetting what his anniversary date was or how many years he's been married. :)

(Note: I've never forgotten my anniversary.)

-Ben