Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Uppity Obama

So the right wing nutcases are licking their chops and going after Michelle Obama now that she has said something that offends their sensibilities. Type in her name to the Google News and about half the items that come up are from the National Review attacking her. They really don't have anything better to do over at that rag. And now McCain has jumped into the firing squad.

Oh, John didn't do it himself; he doesn't want to be seen attacking a woman. So he sent his wife out to take a few swings. In case you haven't heard it already, here is what Michelle Obama said:



What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something -- for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it's made me proud.


Can you guess which part the far-right is jumping on? I highlighted it for you just in case. Of course most of the media play the tape of only that line and not the broader paragraph.

Like I said, John McCain sent out his better-looking half to do his dirty work. This is what Cindy McCain said:



I'm proud of my country. I don't know about you, if you heard those words earlier — I'm very proud of my country.


Well goody for Mrs. McCain. I'm sure she has every reason to have always been proud of her country. I probably would be very proud to be an American if I were her, too.

Cindy Hensley was born into a wealthy Arizona family and has lived nothing but a life of privilege. She was a rodeo queen and a cheerleader. There are no student loans to pay off in Cindy's life since her parents were overflowing with money.

Michelle Robinson grew up with loving parents to be sure. But she grew up in the lower-middle-class south side of Chicago and both of her parents had to work, her mother as a secretary and her father for the city water department. She worked her ass off to get to go to the best high school in Chicago and eventually the Ivy League.

I'm guessing that Michelle had to go into a lot of debt to get her law degree. Cindy Hensley had a trust fund waiting for her when she got done playing quarters with her sorority sisters.

You know what happens to drug addicts from the neighborhood where Michelle Robinson grew up? They get thrown in jail, even for simple possession of drugs.

You know what happened to the drug addict Cindy McCain when she was caught stealing prescription meds, from the clinic she was funding with some of her millions, in violation of federal law? She got her high-priced lawyer to get her off without any jail time or even a felony conviction. Then she fired the guy who turned her in. Yea, America had been good to the wealthy Cindy McCain.

She has never had to deal with the consequences of her actions. She has an affair with another women's husband and gets to keep him. And by coincidence she happens to marry someone else from a connected and privileged family.

So yes, Cindy McCain has every reason to be proud of America. She has never had to work at anything, has been given everything and took someone else's man because she could.

Michelle Obama has worked for everything she got. No doubt she had to see white men who didn't work half as hard or were nearly as smart get promotions and advancements ahead of her. It is also no doubt that as a black woman in America that she had to work three times as hard as anybody else just to get a fair shake.

You would think that someone like Cindy McCain, who has adopted a child from Bangladesh, might have a little more sensitivity about how hard it is for a woman of color to get an even chance in America. She should be ashamed of herself.

But no. Cindy McCain is just another cookie-cutter, ex-cheerleader blonde bimbo member of the right-wing privileged class.

And to them Michelle Obama is just another uppity nigger.

I'm still waiting for my first time feeling proud of my country.

1 comment:

Joe said...

I think Ms. McCain is pretty. She gots a pretty smile.