Sunday, July 06, 2008

Gone To San Antone

Sorry for the long break in posts, and missing my Monday hate list last week. I was in San Antonio for a conference. I was really looking forward to the conference itself but not necessarily spending about five days in the Texas summer heat. But I had a pretty good time in general.

I spent most of my time in conference stuff, of course. But here are the few things I learned while hanging out in San Antonio:

I had low expectations about it, but the River Walk is absolutely fantastic! Every city in the country should have something like this. Sure, there are sections that have the stupid chain restaurants like the Hard Rock Cafe and the utterly annoying Dick's Last Resort, but for the most part there are some great local bars and restaurants to be found. And best of all, you can walk around all day long and not have to even see a car or cross a street.

Alamo Amber Ale is a much better Texas brew than Lone Star Beer.

Texas Lemonade, though it looks like anti-freeze, is a very tasty cocktail.

Margaritas taste better in Texas.

The sun does cook you in the summertime down there. Finding shade is a constant objective.

As much as you may love it, and I do, Tex-Mex food can get really old when you have it for three meals a day, several days in a row.

There is one vegetarian restaurant in the whole city.

Seeing all the interesting things there are to see in San Antonio takes about a day. Maybe half a day.

*

No comments: