Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Late Monday Hate - New Parent Edition

So since I became a father it is impossible to get anything done on time. I'm thinking that my Monday hate postings will kind of come on whatever day I can get to it. And since we're in a parent mode, why don't we list the things I'm hating about child-rearing?

First off, parenting books. I've seen a bunch of these things now and I've come to the conclusion that they are all full of shit. Most of them seem to be selling one agenda or another and all they succeed in doing is making parents over think everything. None of the things you are told to do in these books are backed up by any real scientific study, they will just make broad claims as fact.

Like, there are some that make it sound like child abuse if you give your baby a pacifier. They tell you that you kid will never learn to suck her thumb and ruin any chance she has of getting in to Harvard. They don't actually back their claims up with any actual facts, you are just supposed to take it at face value because they are the "best selling" parenting book out there. What's really going on is the breast feeding hippy-Nazi's going all freaky about putting anything in a baby's mouth besides mom's nipple and maybe a twig off a hemp plant because there will be "nipple confusion." I've figured out that nipple confusion is as big of a myth as the lost city of Atlantis and compassionate conservatism. I've heard a lot about how it "can" happen, but no instances of it actually happening. And the people who have a problem with pacifiers are the same ones who think it's perfectly OK and normal to breast feed your kid until she's in junior high.

Baby cries, baby is given pacifier, baby stops crying. It's all good. And my kid knows how to suck her hand with no problem and can tell the difference between the nipple with the food and the one without in about a millisecond.

Throw the books away and just ask your pediatrician for advice. The kid will give you a pretty good idea what to do, too.

Speaking of pacifiers...

I hate the cutesy alternative language people make up for kids. Why the fuck can't we call things what they are just because a child is involved? What the hell is a binky? That doesn't mean anything. Pacifier is really appropriately named thing, why do parents insist on renaming it to something so meaningless? It's not a onesie, it's called a bodysuit.

There's also the putting of a Y on the end of words to make them sound more kid-cute. You know that it doesn't make a crap-filled diaper smell any better by calling it "poopy," don't you? What the hell is wrong with just poop? Personally, I prefer shit. But the wife has an opinion on my language around the daughter.

Another version of this is talking to the baby how you think she's going to say things. If my mother calls herself "Gamma" one more time I'm going to scream.

Don't even get me started on the stupid words parents make up for genitalia.

Seems to me it shouldn't be a radical idea to teach kids the right names for things and the correct way to pronounce them.

And then there are the people who think they know who the baby looks like. I have heard just about every possible combination of who my daughter looks like. People have told me she looks like me, others say my wife. I've had some of my family say my daughter's various cousins or other relatives. You know what? She looks like a baby. Babies this young (weeks old) don't look like anybody. Any claim that she looks like anybody is just people projecting some preconceived idea on my kid. Babies are like Cylons in the new Battlestar Galactica, there are about seven basic models. That's why it is so easy to switch them in the hospital and there are identity bracelets on every limb to make sure that doesn't accidentally (or purposely) happen.

The most dangerous thing I can't stand is the "blame medicine for Autism" movement. I am so sick of seeing this anti-intellectual movement treated with legitimacy. I have heard so many claims of there being "studies" that show a connection between vaccinations, oxytocin or some other drug and Autism. None of it is true, and the studies they site as evidence of these connections are either real studies that are being misrepresented or just flat-out made up. Because of the misinformation spread by these wackos, more parents are choosing to not get their children immunized, and they put my kid at a higher risk.


But you want to know one thing I love about having a baby around? You really don't realize until you have one just how much babies fart, and ours really let's 'em rip with the best of them. And they stink like crazy.

So these days I can just cut loose with mine and blame it on the kid. That's the joy of fatherhood right there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL good post. New to the parenting world in the role of 'stepmom' I've found a few books that have helped me play catch up on what I missed in the first 3 years and on what to expect in general terms of development over the next couple years. I've found a few tips to be helpful here and there but for the most part it is plain to see the author's bias bleeding through. No one person is an expert because that assumes that all children are the same...ha. We can only be aware of what's going on in the world and try to understand how it may impact us or our child, learn who our child is, and with common sense and love, take an ever-evolving approach...and maybe try to get a nap in here or there.

I think books are handy when they make us aware of issues or a side of an issue we might not have thought about before and offer food for thought. Reading "So Sexy So Soon" right now. Something we all are involved with or impacted by on some level...my head hurts.

Anonymous said...

I was just picturing such a moment when you and baby were cutting loose together....cute.....

And reading too many books on childcare is the ultimate overkill

Anonymous said...

I find books helpful SOMETIMES in order to give alternative solutions to problems that I am confused by - but for every book that says that some solution is terrible another book says that it's great - so I just take it all with a grain of salt. I'm over the whole pacifier thing - our doc said it's only an issue after a year - so, in goes the pacifier. Oh, and the origin of "binky" is that it was a brand name of pacifier, like Kleenex or Xerox (perhaps you already knew this). Anyway, I guess I won't tell you that the Baby looks like you or the Wife . . . even though, she does . . . Glad I read this when I read it. Ha! --M.

Anonymous said...

i'm down w/the proper genitalia name thing; it's just kinda freaky when your 4 year old talks about how girls have vaginas and boys have penises.