Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Netflix Bitching

I'm sure by now - even if you don't have a Netflix account - you've heard about the change in price structuring by Netflix. Basically they started charging separately for the streaming service instead of including it in your DVD subscription for free. If you want to keep your DVD/streaming package you have to pay quite a bit more a month. Though one of the things I didn't see mentioned by anybody was that if you only keep one or the other you actually end up paying less. But who cares about those details?

So began all the bitching and moaning on Facebook (and I imagine Twitter too, but I'm not on Twitter). I really couldn't believe how mad people seemed to be. You could practically hear the foam around some people's mouths. Lots of mean and nasty words for whoever it is that runs Netflix. But who's to blame, really.

Let me spell out how this whole thing came to be.

Netflix hits the Internet, offering a respite for people sick of the arduous task of walking a few blocks or driving a car to the video store. And for those people who find it impossible to return movies on time there are no late fees. Many people sign up despite the fact that they have local video stores nearby that do things like pay taxes to support the schools, fire firefighters and police in the area. After not too long the local video stores stop making money. A vast majority of them close down, despite there being a dedicated group of us that stick with them. Even big corporate behemoths like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster go under.

Competition thoroughly vanquished, Netflix is now a virtual monopoly in the movie rental business. What do monopolies do? They charge whatever the hell price they want for their goods and services, because where the hell else are you going to get those goods and services?

So to all those people that jumped on the Netflix bandwagon early on and are now complaining about them raising the prices, I say fuck you. You're the reason that I had to finally give in and join to begin with. I was perfectly happy walking to my local video store but now I have none near me thanks to you.

I'm not sure if it is people in general or just Americans (this is what I suspect) that have such a disconnect from cause and effect. I hear some of my friends who drive to work everyday bitch about how bad the traffic is and how it frustrates them, without even considering that traffic is so bad because they drive to work everyday! Everybody else is the cause but not them. I hear many lament the loss of book stores and music stores, but press anybody on how much stuff they purchased from Amazon (yet another company that doesn't pay sales tax - and has an army of lobbyists fighting attempts to change the laws so local business owners stand a fighting chance and to salvage decimated local government budgets) compared to how much they bought from the bookstore or record store - before they closed - and I bet I know what the answer is for a majority of them.

And don't think Amazon won't inch their prices up once they don't have the competition from Borders or Barnes & Noble anymore.

Think about this the next time you're ordering online instead of going down to your local shop. What is the result of the choice you make? And not just on you, but on our economy and world as a whole.

Oh, and quit complaining about paying too much for something that cost a hell of a lot less than it did ten years ago.*


*Do the math - if you watch more than five movies a month on the 2 DVD + streaming plan you are paying less per rental than you did at the video store back in about 2000 or so.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But in your column here you are not addressing the issue of technology. I love a record store as much as you, but tech has pushed them all out of business. I have always lived near record stores, video stores, so it was never a pain in the ass for me to go...tech has replaced that (streaming, e-books, mp3s) and so, of course, people are going to move into that direction. Americans, especially, are lazy asses. My issue with them is the same issue I have with, say, Apple for example. Don't fucking sell yourself as some virtuous alternative, then pull a 180. This is why I don't trust anyone; I had heard about Netflix' move to streaming only for a good 12 months, so I saw this coming. I am pissed that, while OK with me to drop to streaming only, they haven't done a good enough job obtaining licenses, therefore they're not offering much--so I basically see that as, charging more for same, mediocre service. And the problem I have with that isn't that THAT is happening--that's what corporations do--the problem I have is that Netflix deems themselves an ethical, 'blue' company. Fuck that. So I dropped them. I don't care, I don't define my entertainment via what's on TV.

I think it would be a good angle for you to speak to the tech advances, however, and analyze how those have killed our beloved record and video stores. Especially INDEPENDENT record and video stores. I long for those.