Saturday, June 24, 2006

Well Excuuuuuuse Me!

I haven't posted anything this last week because my whole life has been about packing. Pack, buy boxes, pack more, buy more boxes, pack more again, buy more boxes, buy yet another roll of tape. I did get one of those awesome packing tape dispensers like I used to get to use back in my warehouse worker days after high school. I have very few man-toys, so it's good to add to the collection and show my wife that maybe I do have some testosterone. Oh, and bubble wrap. Rolls and rolls of bubble wrap. There's nothing like moving to make me feel nothing like the environmental-friendly person I like to think I usually am. Hundreds of feet of plastic just doesn't feel right.

But we are so close to getting out of this godforsaken shithole of a town that I can taste it. And unlike any other time in my life I have moved, I'm not getting one bit of nostalgia for anything I would miss when I leave. In fact, I've just been having moments of "Fuck, I'm so happy we're leaving soon."

Like going to Staples the other day to get a few more boxes and a huge roll of bubble wrap. I'm walking home with a 110 foot roll of wrap and a strapped together bundle of three boxes. Now these are not heavy of course, but they are extremely awkward. This is made even more so by the fact that it's really windy. So I'm trying to carry these things home while the wind is whipping them around as I walk. With flat boxes in windy weather you might as well be trying to carry a sail.

Now, usually when walking around Boston people are pretty much huge ass holes and don't make room for other people on the sidewalk. An example of this is when you are walking and there are two or more people coming from the other direction and they are spread across the whole sidewalk. In most places those people would move a little to make room for you to get by. Not in Boston. In fact, I've noticed that people sometimes even adjust the other way and purposely take up more space on the sidewalk, like a dog pissing on a post to claim the territory for themselves. Even people walking by themselves will do this. I can be walking and another person is coming from the other direction and I am to the far right side of the sidewalk and they will stay right in the middle and not even make an attempt to avoid bumping you.

"But surely this wouldn't happen when they see someone struggling to carry awkward bulky things down the sidewalk," I thought, "Even Bostonians can't be that big of ass holes."

Boy was I wrong. In my short ten minute walk home I was bumped no less than four times, twice what I would call pretty hard. And I was not walking on crowded sidewalks. Every single time I was as far over as I could get and the other person had plenty of room to get over to make enough space for me without putting themselves out in any way. But noooooooo, wouldn't want to give a fucking inch for a fellow human being would we?

Oh man, I need to get out of here. Basically just have one more week to get through. Then it's off to the nice friendly confines of Chicago for about two weeks, then back here to load the truck and we're off to New York.

And never look back.

Except maybe to flip the bird as we're leaving the city limits.

No comments: