Friday, March 11, 2005

Information-less Age

So I'm sure everyone saw this image yesterday.



Police in Chicago yesterday pretty much closed the double murder case involving the family of a federal judge and it was trumped in the media by Michael Jackson in pajamas. Now there are a lot of things that could be said about the Jacko circus, and Jon Stewart did a great job poking fun at it last night, as he always does. But one thing struck me as I watched this on the "news". While freakboy walks into the courthouse he has somebody holding an umbrella to protect him from the harsh Southern California elements (low-80s, partly cloudy yesterday). I couldn't help but wonder, what horrible sin you have to commit for your lot in life to be Michael Jackson's umbrella holder? What do you think it pays? Health benefits? How many sick days does it come with? Number of weeks paid vacation? 401(k)? I just don't think I could fall low enough to do that for a living. Even if it came with both vision and dental plans. I'd rather eat out of a garbage can than be that guy. And I thought the worst job in the music industry belonged to Jerome, Morris Day's mirror holder. I stand corrected.

Here's an item none of the 24-hour "news" channels had time for this week:

US Bars Nicaragua Heroine as 'Terrorist'
Dora Maria Tellez was a leader in the revolution that overthrew the brutal dictator Anastasio Somoza Debayle and brought Democracy to Nicaragua. Along with free education and health care. Reagan and his minions did what they could to destroy it and were pretty successful. But they do still have free elections, thanks to people like Ms. Tellez. And she has visited the U.S. on many occasions, but has now been barred from entering our country for "terrorist activities". It just so happens that the man Bush named as the new intelligence Director, John Negroponte, was the man running the illegal war against the freely elected Sandinistas in the 1980s. This should be bigger news and it's not. A hero of democracy is being labeled by the Reagan...ooops, I mean Bush regime as a terrorist. People should know this. Tell everyone you know, because CNN and MSNBC sure don't seem to want to do it.

1 comment:

Ben Hocking said...

I'll admit that I first read your post about Dora Maria Tellez with some skepticism. Here's this major story that is not being covered by any of the major news sites (as you allude to). I've heard "stories" like this before, only to convince myself that the stories are completely false once I notice that all of the sources of the news stories are horribly biased.

This time, however, that was not the case. I went to news.google.com and searched on her name to find out that at least a few reputable sources are reporting on this (news.google.com does not automatically filter out bogus news), although I'm still shocked at how few of the major news sources have noticed it.

Anyways, good job about shining at least a little more light on this topic.