Thursday, March 31, 2005

Hitchcockian Evening

Random notes from the Robyn Hitchcock show at T.T. The Bears Place in Cambridge.

I think only Robyn Hitchcock could get away with walking into the crowd doing a medley that included When Your In Love With a Beautiful Woman by Dr. Hook, Sound And Vision by Bowie, and end it with a Kung-Fu Fighting crowd sing-along (complete with "woah, oh, oh , ohs"), without being hokey.

Sitting at the bar toward the back and looking around at the crowd and there was a lot of gray hair. It dawned on me that a a lot of the bands/musicians that I like to go see are now those shows that are filled with the 40+ crowd. At first that depressed me, but then it made me happy because it means concert life doesn't have to end in middle age.

So I was at the show by myself as my wife couldn't go because for some odd reason he was playing at an ungodly early 7:00pm show. This being Boston, whenever I go out around here I've pretty much given up on the possibility of striking up a conversation with anyone. People here don't talk to people they don't know in bars like they do in, well, everywhere else. It's one of the things I miss about Chicago. But toward the end of the night there was a couple of people who sat next to me and I actually did end up chatting with them. After talking about how many times we've seen Robyn one girl asked me where I had seen him and I mentioned Seattle and Chicago shows. She asked me why on earth I would move to Boston and talked about how she hated it here too. She was also from Chicago and has plans to move back. This seems to be a recurring thing in Boston, every time I meet someone who seems really nice they turn out to be from the Midwest.

Robyn also covered Roxy Music's Oh Yeah(On The Radio) and the Beatles' Dear Prudence and ended the night with A Day In The Life.

I actually hung around long enough that I got to hang around Robyn at the end of the night with just a couple of other people. I like to do this even though it actually makes me feel like a nerd instead of cool. I just shut up and listened to him talk. His description of his music: "What I do is what everyone does in their dreams, I just do it while I'm awake". I found that so cool. I'm such a geek.

I then called my friend Mike to brag when I got home.

No comments: