Monday, February 07, 2005

Everybody else is doing it so why...

So today I start a blog. I kind of got the idea by accident. I had seen a posting by my old friend Jose that I wanted to comment on and I had to register to leave a comment. Suddenly I'm asked if I want to post to my blog. So I started a blog by mistake. And if you are reading it that was probably a mistake as well.

I ended up here because I was catching up on reading my friend Joe's blog. A fine example of what a wretched friend I can be is that my very close friend has had a blog since last July, and he is the best writer I know, yet I read his first post after he sent me the link and never checked back in until today. I was in his wedding, and he was my best man for mine for fuck's sake and I don't take a couple of minutes out of my day to read his blog. Yet I seem to find plenty of time getting into silly arguments about why Being There is Better than Summerteeth over at the Wilco fan site with people I don't even know. Or pour over the details of Chicago's upcoming Brown Line train rehab project. I'm a crappy crappy friend sometimes. Joe, I promise to read your blog from now on. Especially since it took me about 6 hours to catch up with 7 months worth of posts and I don't want to have to go through that again. Though after reading his brilliant writing on his blog I now wonder what business I have doing this.

So here's what you can probably expect if you check in here from time to time:

I will talk about Wilco waaaaaayyyy too much. I'm obsessed. I'm aware of it. No need to point it out. But if I do it here maybe I won't spend as much time over at viachicago.org reading threads about the miscarriage of justice that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was only #11 on Pitchfork's list of best albums of this decade. And I'm sure my wife, good sport that she is, will appreciate my getting it out somewhere else besides to her.

I will bitch about Boston all the time. It is where I am living right now. I hate it. In 17 months I will get to leave. Make that 16 months and 21 days.

Like a lot of blogs I will probably bitch about Bush, Fox News and every other right-wing agenda item that is in the news. And the Democrat's inability to do anything about it.

I will try to share things I love too, but they are not as easy to write about at things that piss me off.
With that idea in mind we'll start with this- Ossie Davis was one of my favorite people in this world. His death, not nearly as big of deal in the news as it should have been, saddened me. It also made me go out and buy a DVD copy of Spike Lee's Get On The Bus. Truly is one of Spike's shining moments. And one of Ossie's greatest performances. Go watch it today.


As I mentioned, I live in Boston. This has been an extra annoying day to live here. Everyone who walks by the desk where I'm temping answering phones keeps saying things like "Great game yesterday huh?", or "How 'bout those Pats?" Everyone assumes I watched that stupid fucking game last night. Unlike the dunderheads who watch that stupid sport, I spent the evening at the cinema with my wife watching the incredible movie Sideways. A film that moved me on so many levels. I can't imagine choosing watching a bunch of repressed homosexual Christians piling on each other for four hours instead. And don't even get me started on those people who say they watch the Super Bowl for the commercials! These are the same stupid asssholes that wear swooshes on their fucking clothes and think that's fashion and/or culture. Stupid dumbfucks.

To paraphrase George Will (no, quoting conservative columnists in a positive way will not be the norm here) - Football is the embodiment of the two worst things about America. Violence and meetings by committee.
----------------------------
Well that is my very first blog. Seems boring. I'll try to get better at it as I go. And I'll post links to people's blogs you should really be reading, like my buddy Joe's blog called hairshirt, as soon as I figure the whole linking thing out. Peace.

4 comments:

the beige one said...

oh man. oh man.

how soon until you start saying things like cryptofascist?

awesome.

Joe said...

Hear! Hear!

I was severely disappointed that you didn't once use the phrase "military industrial complex". C'mon! Get persnickety!

Jessica said...

OMG! Did we tell you about Henry, the Sweet Jesus I Hate Bill O'Reilly? Because he's Chip's friend!

Anyway, good luck with your Blog. I needed another distraction on the internet!!!

Ben Hocking said...

Now, not everyone who plays football is a repressed homosexual nor a Christian. In fact, I remember a couple of games of football (tackle, no less) that you participated in. :O

BTW, you've now forced me to start a blog, but I won't bore you with its location. :)