Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Rolling Rally

Oh boy, big celebration in Boston today. A rolling rally for the champ-een football team. What's a rolling rally you ask? Let me explain. You see the team loads themselves on a series of vehicles called duckboats (don't ask) and then starts moving at a slow pace through the city waving to people gathered on the side of the street and...oh wait....there's already a name for that. IT'S CALLED A FUCKING PARADE! Stupid fucking New Englanders can't even call something by the right name. Jimmies(chocolate sprinkles), johnnies(hospital gowns), ideer(idea) and now fucking rolling rally(parade). No one yet has been able to tell me how this event is any different than a parade, or how it is anything at all like a rally. It's like saying "I went and saw this really great song last night called Sideways. One of the best songs I've seen all year, should win a couple of Oscars easy, both for best lead actor in a song and best director. Although best song of the year will probably go to The Aviator."
And boy did these idiots come out early for the damn parade. Walking to work at 8:00 this morning they were already lining the streets to watch a group of jocks go by in old amphibious assault vehicles repainted to look like ducks. Yes, ducks. In the warmer part of the year they give tours through the city on these things. And during those tours they frequently encourage the tourists to quack out loud while riding through the streets of Bean-town. And they actually do it. I mean, who the fuck quacks like a duck because some loser who can't get a better job than duckboat tour guide tells them to? If I'm on that tour I'd be more likely to say "Hey, I'm the one who paid too much money for this, you quack like a duck, asshole.
So anyway the city is getting filled with suburbanites this morning coming into town for the rolling ra....um, parade. So the streets are getting packed while I'm trying to get to my life-fulfilling job of temp reception work. Now, the typical thing in Boston when walking down the street is no one will ever give room for you. Or say excuse me when they bump into you. People seem to go out of their way to get in your way. Even little old ladies in this town "strong shoulder" you. So today is like this times 100. I was having flashbacks to 9th grade as I tried to survive a barrage of "strong shouldering" from jerkwad jock-types wearing football jerseys and gold chains and their hoochy mama girlfriends. I really wanted to go tell the school nurse I was sick and needed to go home, to hell with the after-school drama club meeting. I'd rather lock myself in my room and listen to The Cure's The Head On The Door than go to the pep rally.

Good news coming, though. Wilco's new EP, which will be downloadable for free to those of us that own the latest album, will be coming out early next month. Two studio tracks from the Ghost Is Born recording session, and three live gems. And there are big rumors that they will be filming upcoming show(s) for a DVD later this year. Woo-hoo!

2 comments:

the beige one said...

yeah, but if the stinking Braves won it all, who'd be the first in line for a rolling rally?

and still no fucking "cryptofascist", buddy.

Joe said...

The man's got a point, Deni.