Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Love Letter To Lynne From Lowell

So after my last post I got a snippy little comment from Lynne, who has a blog called Left In Lowell, because she's a lefty politically and lives in Lowell, MA. This is her comment to me:
If you dislike your former place of residence so much, get yourself off of Leftyblogs' MA feed, then, as you are no longer a MA resident.

Thanks.

Sorry for the tone but if you think so poorly of the city, then you must think poorly of the people you left behind. It's sorta insulting.
Well Lynne, it certainly wasn't meant to be sorta insulting, it was meant to be really insulting. I must be off my game. What I don't get is that Lynne has read my blog a bunch of times and commented on several occasions, and has always posted a nice comment agreeing with what I wrote. So how is it that she has never been insulted by my degrading of Beantown before this? I mean, this was one of my tamer tirades against Boston. There have been people suggest to me that my blog should be called "I hate Boston" because of how much I go off on that town, has Lynne really missed it all this time? Why would she be so mad about my last one but not this three part series (here, here, and here) or this, this, or this. In that last one I ended it by writing, "This is what happens when you have a town full of those Southie dunderheads. They may have made for cute little lovable characters in Good Will Hunting, but in real life they're just a bunch of fucking Neanderthal dumbshits." How do you not get upset over that but over a little random bit about how I'm so much happier living in New York over Boston?

And there I think I just answered my own question. Boston knows they are not nearly as cool as New York and they have a lot of inferiority about it. I think it is probably the root of all of Boston's problems. Shit Lynne, I once wrote a whole tirade about how New England liberals (which is what you consider yourself) are the biggest hypocrites in the world, and not a peep from you about it. But one off the cuff remark about how it is so nice that stuff in New York stays open later than in Boston and suddenly I'm an ass-hole. (And really, if you ask anyone who knows me, I've been an ass-hole for so very much longer)

And as for the line, "...if you think so poorly of the city, then you must think poorly of the people you left behind."

Well, duh. That has been my point the whole time. I think I've made the point over and over that the reason Boston sucks the big one so much is because of the people. It is a town full of awful human beings who are shitty to everyone. What makes it even more unbearable isn't just that they're shitty all the time, but that they are so fucking proud of it. People in Boston don't bump you on the sidewalk and almost knock you down because they aren't watching where they are going, they do it because they want to knock you down.

Finally, as far as the Leftyblog Mass. "feed" that I'm on, well I have no idea how I got on there to begin with and don't even know how to take myself off. (And I've been listed there for a long time, I've always been surprised that I never got a pissed off Bostonian comment before since I'm pretty damn ruthless in my hatred for that town.) Someone at some point saw my blog and put my link up on their without my knowledge. I never really called my blog a political blog to begin with. Yes, I'm a person with leftist political leanings and often write about that, but I've always considered it to be more than just a political blog. I only found out about my listing at Leftyblog after discovering that people were coming to me from that site. I'm not complaining, mind you. A link is a link, and if more people find my blog because of it, that's cool. I wouldn't care if there was a link from the American Nazi Party site or NAMBLA if it means more people are reading my rants. But if I'm listed on the Mass. Leftyblog site, that is neither my fucking problem nor responsibility. And it seems like a really dumb, petty, shallow thing to be concerned about.

As a Massachusetts resident, you should be much more concerned about the fact that the people around you can't pronounce the words idea (ideer), car (cah), or park (pahk) without sounding like a bunch of goddamn morons.

7 comments:

the beige one said...

I've been an ass-hole for so very much longer

ohhh, so much longer.

the beige one said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ryan said...

Seriously, there are a lot of worse places to live than Boston.

And, really, is a comment by Lynne really worth an entire tirade?

mheh.

One correction on your column: I would suspect that Lynne does NOT consider herself a "New England Liberal." Indeed, she's railed against them in the past.

She's progressive, not liberal. There's a distinction - and not a small one at that.

Anonymous said...

I might get in a little trouble for not defending Boston to the death but as a transplant from the Midwest I don't have to have the same shall we say blinders that some must have. However, I enjoy Boston, I think it is a great place to live though I do share your frustration with the relatively puritan attitude that does seem to pervade this place. Let's not even get started on the Blue Laws.

My favorite part about your rant was the part where you reminded us that we aren't New York. I couldn't agree more and I have to see to the people out there, and there does seem to be a few of them, that want Boston to be just like NYC that they should STOP TRYING! I don't want Boston to be another NYC and it never can be nor should it ever be. NYC is unique as is Boston. Boston just needs to do a better job at being a big city instead of acting like a quaint little New England town, we can't have it both ways.

As for the accent, you had better be careful there. I don't think that the New York accent is any more sophisticated.

Finally, Lynne is good people, be nice to her...just rip into Boston so I can keep coming back for a chuckle.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are still an ass!
Thor

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! Deni is back and surly as ever. Can't wait for you to start ripping on New York. Thor's right, you're an asshole.

hugs and kisses
mando

Anonymous said...

Southie dumbasses!!!, obviously you have not a clue about the history nor the people of this great neighbourhood. These people took me in when I was most in need of it. As an Irishman I hold that in the highest regard..